Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wheat Pizza Crust

4 Stars

A few months ago I started collecting pizza crust recipes.  I have them written on small scraps of paper and most have the website or person who gave them to me. This one does not. So, if you recognize it from a blog or recipe site, please let me know and I'll give credit where credit is due!

I've made this a few times and here are the things I've learned. This recipe is enough to make 2 thin crust pizzas or 1 medium crust pizza.  You need to bake it for around 5 minutes before adding your toppings if you want a crispy crust.  When you think it is done, cook for 3-5 more minutes to give the middle more time to cook.



Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 c. white flour (I use unbleached white)
1 t. salt
2 T. olive oil
1/4 t. sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 c. warm water

Add yeast and sugar to 1 c. warm water.  Stir gently and let sit for 8 minutes.  The yeast will be bubbly.

Mix whole wheat flour, white flour, and salt.  Add olive oil.

Pour yeast mixture and combine.

Knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Well kneaded dough will be smooth and elastic.  If you press your finger into the dough, the mark should spring back.

Pour a small amount of olive oil into a bowl.  Place dough in the bowl and turn once.  Cover the bowl with saran wrap or a clean towel and let rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

If making 2 thin crust, then cut in half.  I freeze one half for a later date.

Roll out to desired thickness.  Don't worry about getting a perfect circle or rectangle. Concentrate more on the thickness being even across the entire crust.  Bake at 450 degrees for 5-8 minutes.

Add toppings (I used green pepper, olives, and mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and Italian seasonings) and bake for 15-18  minutes (thin crust) or 15-20 minutes (for thicker crusts).

Enjoy!!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment