Thursday, February 18, 2010

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

4-stars

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Cholesterol Free)

I really was craving something sweet to eat, so started out looking for a recipe that was easy and something I had all the ingredients.  Chocolate chip cookies sounded good, then in the middle of looking for a good recipe, I started feeling guilty about them being bad for us. So I found a recipe and adjusted it with other ingredients that would be better for us. Like Ultra Grain all purpose flour.  It has 9 grams of whole grains and double the fiber.  I also opted to use egg beaters instead of real eggs. Egg beaters are about 1/2 the calories and no cholesterol.  I substituted the butter for vegetable shortening as well.  Vegetable shortening has no cholesterol and also has 50% less saturated fat than butter.  If I use this again, I will opt for the butter flavor though.. I think it would have tasted better.
I gave these 4 stars, because they did not taste exactly like chocolate chip cookies. You can taste the grains in the flour.. Which is not a bad thing, but different.  We like them, but we didn't love them, which is also a good thing LOL.  The kids love them I think. Tyler is on his 4th cookie.. I dont feel bad giving him them either. :)

Ingredients:

1 cup vegitable shortening Crisco (butter flavored would be better)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup egg beaters
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups Ultra Grain all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp hot water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth.  Beat in the eggs, then stir in the vanilla.  Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour and chocolate chips.  Drop by large spoonfuls or roll balls and smash down.  I use non-stick foil.
Bake for about 10-13 minutes in preheated oven.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment