Friday, March 26, 2010

Bran Flax Muffins

4.5 Stars

I am forever on the hunt for healthy snacks for my kids. I would rather make them something than pull something out of a box, but some days I just don't have time. That is when I started looking for muffin recipes. I thought muffins could be made ahead of time and pulled out when needed.

I found these on Allrecipes and didn't have high hopes for them. I mean, they got good reviews, but would my kids like them? Would they taste like cardboard with all that flaxseed? I decided to give it a try and I figured my husband and I could eat them if the kids didn't like them.

They are amazing! I mean, so good. Moist, great flavor, and fairly dense, so not little crumbs all over the place.

They didn't get 5 stars because it took a lot of prep. work. So, you may want to make these during nap time or after the kids are in bed.



Ingredients
3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. all wheat flour
3/4 c. oat bran
3/4 c. ground flaxseed
1 c. brown sugar
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 c. skim milk (I used 2%)
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 T. vegetable oil
2 c. shredded carrots (I did the smallest shred on mine)
2 apples, peeled, cored, and shredded (I used the largest shred on mine)
1/2 c. raisins (I forgot these and mine were still fine)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Mix flour, flax, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add the milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil. Mix just until blended.

2. Stir in carrots, apples, and raisins.

3. Lightly grease muffin cups. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full w/ batter.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. I had to cook mine for close to 25 minutes before they were done, so make sure you check these before turning the oven off.

Enjoy!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment