Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sugar Biscuits

4 Stars

We love strawberries in this house! Now that spring is around the corner and strawberries are on sale 3 for $5, I knew it was time to make my sugar biscuits. They have a slightly sweet taste, but still taste like a biscuit.

I found this recipe last year around this time, but I can't seem to find it again. It is not my original recipe, so if you find it on the web, let me know and I'll post a link.

The reason these get 4 stars is that they must be eaten the same day they are made. They do not last over night.

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter
1/3 t. baking soda
1 c. buttermilk
1 well beaten egg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

1. Stir flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/3 c. sugar. Work butter into the flour mixture with fingers (like making a pie crust).

2. Mix baking soda with buttermilk (I just add the baking soda to the buttermilk in the measuring cup.). Add buttermilk and egg to flour mixture. Blend LIGHTLY.

3. Place dough on floured surface and knead lightly. Dough will be crumbly at first, be careful not to over knead.

4. Roll dough 3/4 inch think. Cut into rounds and place on well greased baking sheet.

5. Brush tops with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. My oven takes exactly 10 minutes.



To make my strawberry shortcake I butter the inside of the biscuits lightly, add crushed and chopped strawberries, top with whipped cream, and add the other side of the biscuits. So good!!



Enjoy!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment