Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sugar Cookie Icing

4.5 Stars

I've been searching for an easy icing for sugar cookies for a while now. I was so excited to find this recipe on Blonde Invitations and Designs blog. I love all of their work, and knowing that they both used to work for Martha Stewart makes me trust them all the more!

Since St. Patrick's day is right around the corner, my daughter and I made some sugar cookies. I will admit that these are Semi-Homemade. When baking with my daughter who is almost 4, things need to be quick. So, I use the Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie mix that comes in a bag. Judge me if you wish, but once you try these, you won't turn back. :)

Now, about the frosting. This was my first time making it and it is super easy.

Ingredients:
2 T. softened butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
Milk to thin

Mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Use milk to thin to spreading consistency.

That's it! Crazy, right?!

To make it the green color, I used food coloring gel made by Wilton. I found my at Jo-Ann Fabric for around $5. I mixed the yellow and blue in a bowl until I found the color I wanted and then added it to the frosting.



To ice the cookies I used two different methods. The first I'll call the "neat" method. I took a butter knife and very gently spread the icing on each cookie.



The second method is the "sloppy" method. First I dipped the cookie in the icing.

Then I took a butter knife and took off the excess. I then placed them on a cooling rack to drip any excess icing off the cookie.

(Notice the bite missing? :) )

The cookies must set out until the icing hardens before you stack, so make sure you have someplace to let them dry.


Enjoy!



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment