Friday, January 22, 2010

Caramelized Apples and Carrots over Pork Chops

5 stars

I have been making this dish for a while now.  My entire family loves this dish so much. I remember in the early days, my husband would not even eat pork chops ever.  I had to get creative to get him to eat them and this was it. The sweetness and the parts for apples that caramelize is just wonderful.  My oldest son says its like a meal and dessert all in one. :)
There are different ways you can do this, with or without the carrots, you can pre-cook the pork chops a bit before baking.  In a frying pan heat up some oil and brown both sides before putting in the baking dish.  I just put in the baking dish with some butter and bake for about 25 minutes, then turn, bake for about 5 minutes then I add my apple mixture then bake until the apples are caramelized.  The time with differ depending on the thickness of your chops. I always use the thicker ones.



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 4 (1-inch thick) pork chops
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 apples - peeled, cored and diced
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine.
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Place chops in an 8x12 inch baking dish, sprinkle them with salt and pepper. 
  3. Mix in a bowl  the carrots, apples, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
  4. Cover the chops with the apple mixture.
  5. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until the chops are done and the apples have caramelized. Enjoy!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment