Saturday, January 23, 2010

Melt in your Mouth CrockPot Meat Loaf and Fingerlings Potatoes

5 stars
The family ate every bite of this.. There was no left overs of anything tonight! 

Still improvising cooking methods without having my oven.  Nu Wave Oven and Slow Cooker tonight! Worked out great!



I must say that I really never have liked meat loaf, I eat it, because my husband loves it, however he does not love the frozen kinds, but those are the ones I always buy.  I hate all the grease that it leaves soaking around the meat and its usually dry by the time its cooked to the temperature I like my ground beef to be.  Until I found this recipe.  I never would of thought about making a meat loaf in a slow cooker.. How cool.   What I did was made up the meat the night before and formed into the loaf look and put into a steamer/skimmer and then placed that in the crock pot and stored in the refrigerator overnight until I was ready to turn it on.  The biggest thing for me was to either have super lean meat so it would not be greasy or come up with something that would allow the grease to drain off.. and I remember I have all these metal steamers and strainers that would work great!  I actually thought that the one I used would had fit all the way on the bottom, however it did seem to matter at all.


Meat Loaf
Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1 celery stalk diced very small
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well (mixture will be moist.) Shape into a round loaf; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160-180 degrees F. 
  2. For a sauce, use ketchup, BBQ sauce and either brown sugar or molasses depending on your taste


 Fingerling Potatoes
Ingredients
  • 1 bag fingerlings
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 2 small peppers diced small (red, orange or yellow)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions
  1. In a large bowl add all the ingredients and toss around until the oil coats all the vegetables.  Put into a large baking dish or a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 400 at 35 minutes or until you can insert a fork into the potatoes easily. 



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment