Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pasta Fagioli

4 Stars
Month Rotation

This winter I have been craving soup. Anyone else? I did this a few years ago and ate so much soup that I didn't want soup again for a few years. So, I'm trying to take it slow so that I don't go on a soup boycott again when the weather turns warm.

I found this recipe on my go-to site, Allrecipes. I love that site, although at times it can be overwhelming. I suggest going in with at least a few ingredients so that you don't find yourself looking for recipes 2 hours after you started.

You'll need:

  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup uncooked spinach pasta
  • 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, with liquid

I put my little worker bee to work and we both chopped.

Directions

In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper and salt until onion is translucent. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes..
Cook pasta, per directions. I used this one, and it is really great! It doesn't get soggy and has a wonderful taste.
Add undrained beans and mix well. Heat through. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
3 out of 4 people enjoyed this meal. I wanted to serve it with bread, but forgot to get some, and we really didn't need it. It is very hearty and has a great flavor. My husband usually always adds salt, but he didn't even add any to this one. If you are serving more than 2 adults then you will need to double the recipe. It was just enough for one bowl each for 2 adults and 2 small children, so no leftovers. I think this one would be amazing as a leftover when the flavors blend a bit more.

I put this in the monthly rotation because it isn't something we would enjoy weekly, but it is good enough to have at least once a month.







Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment