Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Simple Authentic Italian Pasta Sauce

Simple Authentic Italian Pasta Sauce- 5 stars

I have made pasta/spaghetti sauces before, but I really like this one the best I think. I love how authentic this sauce tastes. It reminds me of being back in Italy. Yes, I lived in Italy in my pre-teen years. I miss all the wonderful foods and flavors of Italy so much.
I adjusted this basic recipe a bit by adding a very small amount of sugar and some minced garlic. These additions fit my family a lot better, however I really love the sauce just as the original recipe called for. I would suggest making the original recipe and adding to it as your taste requires.

I got the recipe from here but it seems this recipe has been around the block a few times else where.


Ingredients:
28 ounces (800 grams) can whole tomatoes
5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

I added:
4 cloves garlice minced
1 TBS sugar


Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan (it fit just right in a 3-quart) over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste (you might find, as I did, that your tomatoes came salted and that you didn’t need to add more) and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.





I would never discard onions... so I ate most of these as a side dish.. yum yum!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment